Yallingup, Western AustraliaTown in Western Australia
Yallingup is a town in the South West region of Western Australia, 266 kilometres (165 mi) south of Perth. Yallingup is a popular tourist destination because of its beaches and limestone caves, and proximity to Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park.
History and industry
Yallingup is named after an Australian Aboriginal word that means “Place of Love”. After its caves were discovered by European settlers in 1899, Yallingup became popular with tourists. Tourism and viticulture are Yallingup’s primary industries.
Geography and climate
Yallingup is located 266 kilometres (165 mi) south of Perth and 34 kilometres (21 mi) west of Busselton in Western Australia’s South West region. Yallingup experiences a Mediterranean climate (Köppen climate classification Csa/Csb). Residents and visitors experience moderate temperatures, with an average maximum temperature of 22 °C (72 °F) and a minimum of 11 °C (52 °F).
The beaches of Yallingup, such as Three Bears, Yallingup, Smiths Beach and Injidup, are well known surfing locations, and are also suitable for fishing.
Flora and fauna
Yallingup is home to many different types of bushland and wildlife. The surrounding area is made up of wet sclerophyllous[not in citation given] forest. Yallingup is a biodiversity hotspot that includes the Mediterranean forests, woodlands, and scrub ecoregions of Western Australia.
The Yallingup region is home to a diverse range of species including the western grey kangaroo and over 70 types of birds, creating a healthy ecosystem for the many mammals, reptiles and aviaries. To maintain wildlife population the Western Australia government has placed sanctuary zones and nature reserves where minimal human life and impact can occur.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). “Yallingup (State Suburb)”. 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 28 February 2008.
- “Yallingup”. GeographeBay.com. Retrieved 28 February 2008.
- “Yallingup”. Tourism Western Australia. Retrieved 28 February 2008.
- “Cape to Cape Track – Track Facts”. 2009. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- Western Australia. Environmental Protection Authority. (2009) Sussex location 413 , Yallingup – Smiths Beach : development guide plan : Canal Rocks Pty Ltd. / report and recommendations of the Environmental Protection Authority. Perth, W.A. : Environmental Protection Authority Series Report / Environmental Protection Authority, 1836-0483 ; 1318
- Account of 1000-strong crowd that met at Smith’s Beach to oppose the proposed real estate development. Busselton-Margaret times, 1 Feb. 2001, p.4-5,
- Turner, Robert.(2001) Kierath : I did not up the density at Smiths. Planning Minister, Kierath, says he did not influence the change of conditions that allowed greater developments at Smith’s Beach in the Leeuwin-Naturaliste Statement of Planning Policy. Busselton-Margaret times, 8 Feb. 2001, p.1,
- Western Australia. Corruption and Crime Commission. (2007) Report on the investigation of alleged public sector misconduct linked to the Smiths Beach development at Yallingup (Smiths Beach report) Perth, W.A. : Corruption and Crime Commission “This report relates only to allegations of public sector misconduct linked to the Smiths Beach development. It examines the efforst of Canal Rocks Pty Ltd and its consultants in seeking to influence the Council, public service officers and politicians to support the development.” ISBN 0-9775105-9-X
- Western Australia. Corruption and Crime Commission.(2009) Supplementary report on the investigation of alleged public sector misconduct linked to the Smiths Beach development at Yallingup Perth, W.A. : Corruption and Crime Commission, ISBN 978-0-9805051-6-0
- “Native Flora – SouthWest Wildlife Habitats”. www.southwestwildlifehabitats.com.au. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- “Australia’s South West | Explore Parks WA | Department of Parks and Wildlife”. parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
Media related to Yallingup, Western Australia at Wikimedia Commons
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.