Woodside Beach, Victoria
Woodside Beach is a rural locality with a popular surf beach in Victoria, Australia. It is approximately 10 km from the town of Woodside, and can be reached by the Woodside Beach Road. Areas of interest surrounding Woodside Beach include Balloong Natural Interest Reserve, Jack Smith Lake and McLoughlins Beach.
Woodside Beach is close to the starting point of the Ninety Mile Beach, which starts at Port Albert and extends to Lakes Entrance. This led to it being the focal point of light car speed trials in 1938. In the 1950s fish stock in the area were notable. Due to its location it can be affected by storm surges, and at various times items from accidents nearby at sea get washed onto the beach.
Woodside Beach is patrolled by volunteers from the Woodside Beach Surf Life Saving Club, which was formed in 1968. It regularly hosts junior lifesaving carnivals, with competing teams including Seaspray and Lakes Entrance.
The Woodside Beach Caravan Park is Woodside’s only commercial accommodation. The parks facilities include powered sites, unpowered sites, caravans and cabins.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). “Woodside (State Suburb)”. 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- Alberton (Vic. : Shire). Council (1987). In Yarram & district, town and visitors guide : including Port Albert, Woodside beach, Bulga and Tarra Valley national parks. South Gippsland Pub. Co, Foster [Vic.]
- “WOODSIDE SPEED TRIALS”. Gippsland Times (Vic. : 1861-1954). Vic.: National Library of Australia. 12 September 1938. p. 1. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- “Salmon Trout Plentiful”. Gippsland Times (Vic. : 1861-1954). Vic.: National Library of Australia. 24 September 1953. p. 1. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- Esler, D. G (1979-09). Storm surge erosion at Woodside Beach. In Victoria’s Resources. 21 (Sept 1979), 2-4,30.
- http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/13710/20010921-0000/home.st.net.au/_dunn/ozcrashes/vic123.htm Crash of a Beaufort into the sea 1.5 miles east of Woodside Beach on the Ninety Mile Beach, Vic on 7 October 1943
- Town Accommodation: