Separation Creek, VictoriaTown in Victoria, Australia
The village is situated at the mouth of the Separation Creek, on the Great Ocean Road, which follows the coast through the locality. There are no shops at Separation Creek; the nearest shop and hotel is located at Wye River, which is connected to the town by the Great Ocean Road and on foot by Paddys Path. In July 2014, the federal government announced a $4m upgrade of the Separation Creek bridge, with a new pedestrian walkway across the creek to allow for safer access between the towns.
The Wye River Separation Creek Progress Association is a local community organisation which aims to “advance the welfare and protect the environment” of the two towns. Singer Mike Brady has a beach house in the village.
Separation Creek has a 250m long beach, which is unpatrolled year-round. Surf Life Saving Australia describes the beach as “suitable for a picnic or fishing, but unsuitable for safe bathing”. It gives the beach a hazard rating of 7/10 (highly hazardous).
The remainder of the locality, outside the township, is almost entirely covered today by the Great Otway National Park and the Otway Forest Park. There are only two inland roads through the locality outside the township itself: Wye Road runs inland from the coast, much of it forming the border with Wye River, and the Benwerrin-Mount Sabine Road runs roughly north-south around the western edge of the locality.
Visitor attractions on the Great Ocean Road
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). “Separation Creek (State Suburb)”. 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- “Separation Creek (entry 102708)”. VICNAMES. Government of Victoria. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- “Wye River”. Otway Coast Tourism. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- “Separation Creek Bridge to be Upgraded”. Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development. 9 July 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- “Great Ocean Road’s Separation Creek Bridge to have $4 million facelift”. Geelong Advertiser. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- “Wye River Separation Creek Progress Association”. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Pallisco, Mark (27 March 2010). “Hit-maker’s nice-a place”. The Age.
- “Separation Creek”. Beachsafe. Surf Life Saving Australia. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- “Separation Creek VIC 3234”. Google Maps. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- “Great Ocean Road fire: Number of homes lost in Christmas Day blaze rises to 116”. ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC). 26 December 2015. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- “Great Ocean Road fire: Victoria should ‘stand proud’ that no lives lost at Wye River, Separation Creek”. ABC News. ABC. 26 December 2015. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.