Tanunda, South Australia
Tanunda is a town situated in the Barossa Valley region of South Australia, 70 kilometres north-east of the state capital, Adelaide. The town derives its name from an Aboriginal word meaning water hole. The town's population is approximately 4600. The postcode is 5352
The first settlement in the vicinity of what is today known as Tanunda was the village of Bethanien, settled in 1842. This village was settled by Prussian immigrants who arrived with Pastor Gotthard Fritzsche. In 1843, the village of Langmeil was established nearby by Prussian immigrants who relocated from Klemzig on the Torrens River where they had originally settled in 1838, after arriving with Pastor August Kavel. Tanunda village was settled sometime later.
The village of Langmeil was named after a village of the same name near Zullichau in Prussia, the area from which the German immigrants had originated. the original German village of Langmeil is now the Polish village of Okunin. Due to anti-German sentiments, both Langmeil and Bethanien in South Australia were renamed during the Great War to Bilyara, and Bethany respectively. Langmeil had its name reverted from Bilyara in 1975.
As development of the Tanunda area continued, the villages of Langmeil and Tanunda were joined. Today the township is simply called Tanunda.
Tanunda and the Barossa Valley comprise one of Australia's premier wine-growing areas, and the town is surrounded by vineyards. One such vineyard, Turkey Flat, is home to Shiraz vines that were planted in 1847 and are believed to be the world's oldest continually producing commercial vineyard that has been authenticated.
The regions main newspaper, the Barossa and Light Herald, has been operating in the area since 1951.
The German heritage of Tanunda is still present today. The town has a male choir the Tanunda Liedertafel, the history of which is thought to date back to 1850. There is also a Kegel (bowling) club.The Tanunda Town Band celebrated 150 years as a band in 2007 and is the oldest brass band in the southern hemisphere
Historically, Tanunda (and Adelaide) was the home to number of the earliest South Australian newspapers that were printed primarily in German. German newspapers were setup by early settlers, but many being forced to close or merge due to labour shortages caused by the Victorian gold rush of the 1850s-1860s.
- Deutsche Zeitung für Süd-Australien (1851)
- Süd Australische Zeitung (1860–1874) - Tanunda/Adelaide
- Australisches Unterhaltungsblatt (1862-1916) - a supplement to the Süd Australische Zeitung and Australische Zeitung
- Tanunda Deutsche Zeitung (1863-1869) - later renamed Australische Deutsche Zeitung
- Australische Deutsche Zeitung (1870-1874) - Tanunda/Adelaide: a Melbourne edition of the newspaper was also printed 1870-1872.
- Australische Zeitung (1875–1916) - Tanunda/Adelaide: formed by the merger of Süd Australische Zeitung, and Australische Deutsche Zeitung; closed due to WWI
- Australische Zeitung (1927-1929) - attempted revival
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Tanunda (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Property Location Browser (Search: Tanunda, LOCB)". Government of South Australia. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- G. Harding "A Wine Miscellany" pg 20, Clarkson Potter Publishing, New York 2005 ISBN 0307346358
- "Tanunda Town Band - About Us". Tanunda Town Band. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "Barossa Vintage Festival 2011". Postcards SA. Channel 9 South Australia. Retrieved 26 September 2014.