South Grafton, New South Wales
South Grafton is a suburb of Grafton, New South Wales, taking in most of the area of the city south of the Clarence River. At the time of the 2016 Australian census, South Grafton had a population of 6,068 people, about one-third of Grafton's total population.
South Grafton was first settled around the same time as the main Grafton townsite. However, it was not until the opening of the Grafton Bridge in 1932 that a direct road connection was established between the two settlements – previously residents had relied upon a ferry service to cross the Clarence River. In 1896, South Grafton was given its own municipal government under the Municipalities Act 1867. It was known as the South Grafton Municipal District until 1906 and thereafter as the South Grafton Municipality. In 1956, the South Grafton Municipality was merged into the Grafton City Council. This was in turn merged with other local government areas in 2004 to form the current Clarence Valley Council.
South Grafton has two schools: South Grafton High School and South Grafton Public School.
South Grafton has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
Earle Page, Prime Minister of Australia from 7 April 1939 to 26 April 1939, lived in South Grafton from 1904 to 1920, where he ran a private hospital. He was elected to the municipal council in 1914, and was twice elected as mayor, in 1918 and 1919.
- 2016 Census QuickStats: South Grafton Archived 2018-01-27 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- South Grafton Archived 2018-01-27 at the Wayback Machine, NSW State Archives & Records. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "Grafton City Railway Station group". New South Wales State Heritage Register. Office of Environment and Heritage. H01154. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- [http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/page-sir-earle-christmas-7941 Page, Sir Earle Christmas (1880–1961) ] Archived 2018-03-13 at the Wayback Machine, Australian Dictionary of Biography, Retrieved 27 January 2018.