Today it is the site of numerous light-industrial businesses and primarily low cost single-family detached homes and is a fringe suburb in Ballarat and also one of the most car dependent areas in the city.
Sebastopol's origin were a separate working class town servicing the rich gold mining fields south of Ballarat.
The Post Office opened on 5 October 1857.
Sebastopol Town hall was opened on 19 March 1869.
On August 14, 1913 the tramway to Ballarat opened which led to it becoming by the mid 20th century part of the Ballarat urban area.
It is served by a joint primary and secondary school, Phoenix College, several kindergartens, a post office and library, and several small shopping precincts including three supermarkets.
Buses have operated in Sebastopol since 21 September 1971 after they replaced the tram service. Ballarat Transit now provides regular bus services between Ballarat CBD and Sebastopol.
Sebastopol is home to The Complex Recreation Centre, most commonly known as "The Complex." The building was built in 1961 and is rich in history, but has only recently transformed into a second home for Ballarat's troubled youths.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Sebastopol (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 2008-04-11
- Full Points Footy, Sebastopol, archived from the original on September 7, 2008, retrieved 2008-07-25