Town Category: Queensland
Scarborough, QueenslandSuburb of Moreton Bay Region, Queensland, Australia
The median age of the Scarborough population was 45 years, 8 years above the national median of 37.
71.3% of people living in Scarborough were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were England 8.3%, New Zealand 5.8%, Scotland 1.1%, South Africa 0.8%, Netherlands 0.8%.
90.5% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 0.6% German, 0.5% Dutch, 0.4% Russian, 0.4% French, 0.4% Italian.
Attractions and features
The suburb is known for its thriving seafood industry centred upon the Scarborough Boat Harbour. Scarborough Beach is one of a number of sandy beaches along its eastern coastline, with its Scarborough Beach Park awarded the "Queensland's Friendliest Beach" in 2003 and "Australia's Friendliest Beach" in 2004.
The main street of Scarborough, Landsborough Avenue, is a popular location for families and day visitors from Brisbane with numerous cafés. Part of the reason for its popularity is its overlooking views to Moreton Island across Moreton Bay, and quieter ambience compared to the Redcliffe central business district. Children enjoy the themed playground and its large cottonwood trees.
The point of Scarborough is home to Scarborough Marina and Scarborough Holiday Village, while further around the bay is Newport Marina.
Educational institutions within the suburb of Scarborough are Scarborough State School with an enrolment of more than 860, Southern Cross Catholic College's Scarborough primary (prep to 6), and De La Salle campuses(years 7 to 12). Part of the De La Salle campus has been converted into the Australian Technical College .
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Scarborough (Qld) (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Scarborough - suburb (entry 45496)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Scarborough(State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 17 February 2017.
- "Must-see Attractions". Redcliffe Tourism. Redcliffe City Council. Retrieved 2007-07-27.
- "Scarborough State School (SS) : Primary Enrolments". Schools Directory. Queensland Government Department of Education, Training and the Arts. Retrieved 2007-07-27.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.