The majority of the locality is in the Maranoa Region with only some small areas on the western boundary of the locality being within Shire of Murweh.
The northern part of the locality is within the Chesterton Range with numerous unnamed peaks rising to over 600 metres (2,000 ft) while the southern part of the locality is undulating but at elevations of 450 to 500 metres (1,480 to 1,640 ft). The higher northern land is generally undeveloped with the north-western corner of the locality being within the protected are of Chesterton Range National Park which extends west into neighbouring Redford. The land in the southern part of the locality is predominantly used for grazing.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Tyrconnel (SSC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- "Tyrconnel - locality in Maranoa Region (entry 47458)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Tyrconnel - locality in Shire of Murweh (entry 42934)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Queensland Globe". State of Queensland. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "SIR ARTHUR PALMER'S FUNERAL. - Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser (Qld. : 1861 - 1908) - 22 Mar 1898". Trove. Retrieved 24 April 2019.