Windale is a suburb of the city of Lake Macquarie, in the Newcastle metropolitan area. It is located west of the junction of the Pacific Highway and Newcastle Inner City Bypass, covering an area of 1.7 km2 (0.7 sq mi).
Windale is a lower socio-economic area consisting largely of public housing homes, and has historically been known for its high rates of alcoholism, crime and unemployment, however recent local government efforts to regenerate the area have been somewhat successful. The suburb was listed as one of the most socially disadvantaged areas in the State according to the 2015 Dropping Off The Edge report.
Local Government Regeneration
In 2012 the Lake Maquarie Council initiated a plan to regenerate and overall improve the suburb.
Government and politics
At federal level, Windale is within the Division of Shortland, a safe seat for the Australian Labor Party. It has been held since 1998 by Jill Hall. The Windale booth was won easily at the 2010 federal election by the Labor Party, with a two-party preferred vote of 81.60%.
In the New South Wales Legislative Assembly, Windale is within the electorate of Charlestown. Charlestown is currently held by the Liberal Party's Andrew Cornwell following the 2011 New South Wales state election. The seat was previously a safe Labor seat.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Windale (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 11 February 2018.
- Average elevation of the suburb as shown on 1:100000 map 9232 NEWCASTLE
- Area calculation is based on 1:100000 map 9232 NEWCASTLE.
- "Suburb Search - Local Council Boundaries - Hunter (HT) - Lake Macquarie City Council". New South Wales Division of Local Government. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- "Windale". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- "Charlestown". New South Wales Electoral Commission. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Shortland". Australian Electoral Commission. 23 February 2011. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- "Windale". Land and Property Management Authority - Spatial Information eXchange. New South Wales Land and Property Information. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Background Briefing - 4 June 2006 - Windale: A work in progress
- Taylor, Josie; Branley, Alison. "Dropping Off The Edge: Select suburbs stuck in cycle of disadvantage with little being done to help, report shows". ABC News. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- Green, Antony (10 December 2007). "Shortland - Green Guide". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 10 April 2008.
- "Polling Place - Windale". Australian Electoral Commission. 8 September 2010. Retrieved 2 November 2010.
- East Ward - City of Lake Macquarie. Retrieved 10 April 2008