Hillsborough is a suburb of the City of Lake Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia 13 kilometres (8 mi) from Newcastle's central business district on the eastern side of Lake Macquarie. It is part of the City of Lake Macquarie north ward.
In 1874 a coal mining venture was started at Hillsborough, but the coal was found to be of inferior quality and couldn't be sold. The mine was abandoned in 1879 and the town shortly afterwards. Hillsborough remained a ghost town until it was redeveloped after World War II. Hillsborough Public School opened in 1963.
- History of Hillsborough (Lake Macquarie City Library)