North Dandalup is a small town in the Peel region of Western Australia along the South Western Highway between Serpentine and Pinjarra. Its local government area is the Shire of Murray. At the 2011 census, North Dandalup had a population of 346.
The name "Dandalup", a Noongar name relating to the rivers in the area, was shown on maps from 1835 onwards, but its meaning is unclear. When the Pinjarra to Picton Junction railway was joined to Perth in 1894, North Dandalup, near where the river of that name crossed the railway, was noted as a stopping place.
Land for a school was set aside in 1899 and the school commenced operations in April 1900. A town hall and recreation ground were built in 1915. The town was gazetted in 1972, a year after work began on the construction of the nearby South Dandalup Dam. On 28 October 1994, the $50 million North Dandalup Dam was opened 6 km from the town.
North Dandalup today has a primary school, hall, convenience store and fuel station. The nearby North Dandalup Dam offers recreational facilities and activities. It lies close to the North Dandalup Important Bird Area.
A new estate development, Dandalup Springs is under construction with titles for stage one due for release. 122 lots will be released in phase one with a further 100 lots (approximately) in phase two. This estate will see the population of North Dandalup more than double.[timeframe?]
|Preceding station||Transwa||Following station|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "North Dandalup (L) (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – N". Retrieved 17 January 2007.
- Australian Railway Historical Society Bulletin, May, 1965 pp 81-86
- Water Corporation of WA. "North Dandalup Dam" (PDF). Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Dandalup Springs". Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- North Dandalup Dam (Water Corporation)