Town Category: Tasmania
Perth, TasmaniaTown in Tasmania, Australia
Perth is a town in the Australian state of Tasmania. It lies 20 km south of Launceston, on the Midland Highway. The town had a population of 2,965 at the 2016 census, and is part of the Northern Midlands Council.
Like nearby Longford, Perth is a historic town with many buildings dating back to the early 19th century. It is the first major town out of Launceston on the route to Hobart, and also serves as a major junction for people bypassing Launceston on the route from Hobart to the northwest of the state.
In 1837, five years after the practice ceased in England, the body of John McKay was gibbetted near the spot where he murdered Joseph Wilson near Perth. There was great outcry, but the body was not removed until an acquaintance of Wilson passed the spot and, horrified by the spectacle of McKay's rotting corpse, pleaded with the authorities to remove it.
The location is still marked by a sign reading, "Gibbet Hill" on the right when heading to Launceston.
This was the last case of gibbeting in a British colony.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Perth (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- Rowston, Laurie; Baptist Union of Tasmania (2009), Church news Perth 1862-2006, retrieved 2 April 2017
- Jones, S. J, (photographer.) (1900), Perth Baptist Church, Tasmania, retrieved 2 April 2017CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Baptist Church. Perth NG2762 [Records], LINC Tasmania, 1865, retrieved 2 April 2017
- Pedder C.J., Rex v. McKay and Lamb (Supreme Court of Van Diemen's Land), originally published Hobart Town Courier, 5 May 1837, republished by the Division of Law, Macquarie University and the School of History and Classics, University of Tasmania in Decisions of the Nineteenth Century Tasmanian Superior Courts. Accessed 19 December 2007.
- Map showing Perth's location and that of Gibbet Hill (maps.google.com.au)
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.