Central Coast Council, Tasmania
Central Coast Council is a local government body in Tasmania, situated in the north-west of the state between Burnie and Devonport. Central Coast is classified as an urban local government area and has a population of 21,362, Ulverstone and Penguin are the two primary towns of the region.
History and attributes
The Central Coast Council was established on 2 April 1993 after the amalgamation of the Penguin and Ulverstone municipalities.
Central Coast is classified as urban, regional and small (URS) under the Australian Classification of Local Governments.
The municipal boundaries are the Blythe River in the west, Braddons Lookout Road in the east and Black Bluff in the south. The Central Coast includes the tourist destinations Leven Canyon and , as well as a number of rural areas such as Upper Castra.
Name Position Party affiliation Jan Bonde Mayor/Councillor Independent Kathleen Downie Deputy Mayor/Councillor Independent John Bloomfield Councillor Independent Shane Broad Councillor Independent Garry Carpenter Councillor Independent Gerry Howard Councillor Independent Rowen Tongs Councillor Independent Tony van Rooyen Councillor Independent Phillip Viney Councillor Independent
Locality Census population 2016 Reason Blthye Heads Incl. in Heybridge Heybridge 430 Includes Blythe Heads Howth 54 Sulphur Creek 629 Preservation Bay 74 Penguin 3849 Includes Carmantown Cuprona 120 West Pine 138 Carmantown Incl. in Penguin West Ulverstone 4191 Ulverstone 6465 Turners Beach 1715 Carmena 26 Leith 415 Forth 711 Kindred 234 Upper Castra 77 Castra 51 Nietta 64 South Nietta 9 South Preston 7 Preston 150 Includes Warringa Loongana 20 Loyetea 25 Heka Incl. in Gunns Plains Warringa Incl. in Preston Gunns Plains 171 Includes Heka Riana 326 South Riana 214 Sprent 138 Spalford 59 Abbotsham 95 Gawler 622 North Motton 405 Total 21,484 (122) Variance Local government total 21,362 Gazetted Central Coast Local Government Area
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). “Central Coast (M) (Tas.)”. 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- “Agency Details: Central Coast Council”. search.archives.tas.gov.au. Tasmanian Government. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- “Local government national report 2014-2015”. regional.gov.au. Australian Government. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- Central Coast Council – Annual Report 2002-2003
- Leven Canyon
- Black Bluff
- “Councillors – Central Coast Council”. centralcoast.tas.gov.au. Central Coast Council. Archived from the original on 2015-02-01. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Central Coast Council official website
- Local Government Association Tasmania
- Tasmanian Electoral Commission – local government