Moonah is a residential locality in the local government area (LGA) of Glenorchy in the Hobart LGA region of Tasmania. The locality is about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) south-east of the town of Glenorchy. The 2016 census provides a population of 5421 for the state suburb of Moonah. It is a suburb in the city of Hobart, located approximately 5 km north of the central business district of Hobart, and lying directly north of the inner city suburb New Town.
Moonah was gazetted as a locality in 1961. The name has been in use since 1895. It is believed to be an Aboriginal word for “gum tree”.
New Town Rivulet forms most of the southern boundary.
The key transport axis of the suburb is Main Road, which runs between Derwent Park to the north and New Town to the south. Metro Tasmania routes run along this corridor with several stops in Moonah.
The Moonah shopping district is located largely between Florence Street and Amy Street, and includes a range of retail shops, restaurants and cafes, offices, banks, service stations, a newsagent, an auction house and a post office.
Large areas of the suburb are residential. Industrial zones are found along Charles St, Sunderland St and Gormanston Rd. Moonah is home to a major office of the state water company TasWater.
- "2016 Census Quick Stats Moonah (Tas.)". quickstats.censusdata.abs.gov.au. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 23 October 2017. Retrieved 2 April 2021.
- "Placenames Tasmania – Moonah". Placenames Tasmania. Retrieved 2 April 2021.
Select “Search”, enter 144D, click “Search”, select row, map is displayed, click “Details”
- Google (2 April 2021). "Moonah, Tasmania" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2 April 2021.
- "Tasmanian Road Route Codes" (PDF). Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water & Environment. May 2017. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 August 2017. Retrieved 2 April 2021.
- "Hobart North Network" (PDF). Metro Tas. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "About MAC". Moonah Arts Centre. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.