Much of the river frontage is preserved within the , which covers 174 hectares (430 acres) is managed primarily for nature conservation.
Due to the L-shape of the suburb, there are three distinct areas: north-west, south-west, and south-east. The south-eastern part of the suburb is predominantly occupied by the conservation park and the Twin Waters Resort (with its own lagoon). The north-west is occupied by the Twin Waters Golf Course with some residential development. The south-west has its own lagoon connected to the Maroochy River and is a mixture of residential development and the conversation park along the river front.
There is a sandy surf beach along the coast with a narrow coastal reserve immediately behind it with a public access road.
The Maroochy River Conservation Park was established in 1992.
There are no schools in the suburb. The nearest primary school is Pacific Paradise State School in neighbouring Pacific Paradise to the north-west. The nearest secondary school is Maroochydore State High School in Maroochydore to the south.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Twin Waters (SSC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- "Twin Waters - suburb in Sunshine Coast Region (entry 48911)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 12 October 2020.
- "Queensland Globe". State of Queensland. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- "Maroochy River Conservation Park Management Plan" (PDF). Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service. November 1999. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 September 2013. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Twin Waters (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "Twin Waters Sunshine Coast". Novotel. Archived from the original on 12 October 2020. Retrieved 12 October 2020.
- "Home". www.twinwatersgolfclub.com.au. Archived from the original on 12 October 2020. Retrieved 12 October 2020.
- "Twin Waters". Queensland Places. Centre for the Government of Queensland, University of Queensland.