Halse was educated at St Paul's School, London and Brasenose College, Oxford. He was ordained in 1906 and was an assistant priest at St Saviour's Poplar and then priest in charge of St Nicholas' Blackwall. He then emigrated to Australia and was Warden of the Brotherhood of St Barnabas and then headmaster of All Souls' School, Charters Towers, Queensland until his ordination to the episcopate. He was translated to Brisbane in 1943 and knighted in 1962. He died in office on 9 August 1962.
- Details of latter career
- "New Australian Bishop", The Times, 22 August 1925, p10.
- List of archbishops Archived 19 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Who was Who, 1897–1990 (London, A & C Black, 1991), ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- Church history
- ADB on-line
- In a Strange Land: A History of the Anglican Diocese of Riverina, L. Clyde, Hawthorn Press, Melbourne: 1979, ISBN 0-7256-0217-1
- "New Archbishop of Brisbane", The Times, 20 November 1943, p3.
- "Obituary: Archbishop of Brisbane", The Times, 10 August 1962, p11.
|Anglican Communion titles|
| Bishop of Riverina
1925 – 1943
| Archbishop of Brisbane
1943 – 1962