Sackville, New South Wales
Sackville was first settled as a farming community by colonists in 1803, and the settlement was named after Viscount Sackville, the British Secretary of State for the Colonies between 1775 and 1782. It is located on the rich alluvial soil of the flood plains of the Hawkesbury, was close to a readily available fresh water supply, and had transportation links to Sydney via the Hawkesbury River.
The railway from Sydney to Windsor opened in 1864, which meant that farm produce could be shipped upriver for onward transportation by train. However, by the 1880s the river had become silted up between Sackville and Windsor, and Sackville became the head of navigation for seagoing vessels. The SS Hawkesbury, operating from the 1880s, and the SS Narara, from 1900 until it sank in 1909, linked Sackville to Sydney.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Sackville (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Sackville Ferry". New South Wales Roads and Traffic Authority. Retrieved 18 November 2008.
- Purtell, Jean (1995). The Mosquito Fleet: Hawkesbury River Trade and Traders 1794-1994.