Town Category: Victoria
Lake Narracan is located on the Latrobe River in the Latrobe Valley. The dam wall is approximately 1.5 km upstream of the Yallourn Power Station. Its upper reaches are approximately 6 km further to the west, close to where the meets the Latrobe River. The lake was formerly called the Yallourn Storage Dam.
The reservoir was first constructed by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria between 1959 and 1961 and has the capacity of 8,600 megalitres (ML).
In 2002 major works were undertaken to bring the reservoir up to modern day standards, including anchoring the dam wall to the foundation bedrock and strengthening the four gates.
The dam supplies water for cooling the generators of the power stations in the Latrobe Valley. This supply is supplemented with water from Blue Rock Lake approximately 15 km upstream on the Tanjil River.
Lake Narracan is also used for recreational purposes, including waterskiing, jet skiing, swimming, recreational fishing, and bush walking on the shore. A school camp (Woorabinda) on the northern shore of the lake offers facilities for around 75 people. On the southern shore there is a caravan park and campground. The Moe Golf Club is also located on the south shore with a number of holes overlooking Lake Narracan.
The Latrobe Valley Model Aero Club is also located on the lake shore. The Victoria Branch of the Australian Hovercraft Federation use the west end of the lake. The Moe Yallourn Rail Trail passes close by the southern shore of the lake.
It is also the largest fresh water lake that is not used for domestic water storage in Victoria.
Regional lakes and other waterbodies
- Lake Narracan Archived 2014-10-30 at the Wayback Machine, Southern Rural Water
- Latrobe Valley Water Ski Club Inc is delegated control of the halls Bay area of Lake Narracan
- Lake Narracan Archived 2010-02-09 at the Wayback Machine, MORWELL REGIONAL ATTRACTIONS
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090915053340/http://www.vic.australis.com.au/woorabinda/Woorabinda_files/Page398.htm. Archived from the original on September 15, 2009. Retrieved January 15, 2010. Missing or empty
- Lake Narracan Caravan Park & Camping Ground, dLook Pty Ltd
- Moe GC website
- Latrobe Valley Model Aero Club Archived 2010-03-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Moe – Yallourn Rail Trail – Trail Description, Railtrails Australia
- Moe-Yallourn Rail Trail, Victorian Rail Trails, The latest developments and improvements on the trail
Coastal lakes, lagoons, and wetlands Freshwater lakes Glacial, crater and
lakes formed by a natural landslide
Salt lakes Reservoirs Yet to be classified
Former lakesMetropolitan lakes and other waterbodies in Melbourne
Lakes Major lakes Small lakes, wetlands and ponds
- Bushy Park Wetlands
- Glen Iris Wetlands
- Hays Paddock Billabong
- Hull Road Wetlands
- Karkarook Lake & Wetlands
- Kew Billabong
- La Trobe University
- Merri Creek
- Polishing Ponds
- Queens Park
Water catchment reservoirs Major reservoirs Small reservoirs
- CSL Retarding Basin
- Darebin (x3)
- Hallam Bypass Retarding Basin & Wetlands
- Liverpool Road Retarding Basin
- Mt. View
- Surrey Hills
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.