Koori is a demonym for Indigenous Australians from the approximate region of New South Wales and Victoria. For some people and organisations, the use of indigenous language regional terms is an expression of pride in their heritage.
The word Koori is from the word gurri or guri in Awabakal, an indigenous Australian language that was spoken in the area of what is today Newcastle. It is sometimes spelt koorie; also, in coastal areas of far northern New South Wales, it is sometimes pronounced with a harder ‘g’ sound, and is written as goori or goorie.
A Koori Court is a division of the Magistrate’s court in Victoria, that sentences Indigenous Australians who plead guilty.
Koori Radio, a community radio-station based in Redfern, broadcasts to Sydney on a citywide licence. It forms part of the Gadigal Information Service and is the only radio station in Sydney providing full-time broadcasting to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
Koori Mail is a national indigenous newspaper based in Lismore, New South Wales.
The NSW Koori Rugby League Knockout is one of the largest gatherings of indigenous people in Australia. A modern-day corroboree for the Koori people of NSW, it has been held annually over the October long weekend since 1971.
Other names used by Australian Indigenous people
- Anangu in northern South Australia, and neighbouring parts of Western Australia and Northern Territory
- in northern Queensland
- Murri in southern Queensland
- Nunga in southern South Australia
- Nyoongar in southern Western Australia
- Palawah (or Pallawah) in Tasmania
- Wangai in central Western Australia
- Yamatji in the Gasgoyne and Pilbara regions of Western Australia
- Yolngu in Arnhem Land, Northern Territory
- Korff, Jens. “How to name Aboriginal people”. creativespirits. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- Patten, John T. “Aboriginal History – Why Koori History?”. koorihistory.com: Aboriginal history & culture of South Eastern Australia. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Lucashenko, Melissa (30 July 2018). Too much lip (PDF). About the author. University of Queensland Press. ISBN 978 0 7022 5996 8.
- Norman, Heidi. “Koori Knockout”. sydneybarani. Retrieved 27 July 2015.