The Carrathool Shire is a local government area that borders both the Riverina and Far West regions of New South Wales, Australia. The Shire comprises 18,933 square kilometres (7,310 sq mi) and is located adjacent to the Mid-Western Highway and north of the Sturt Highway.
Where once regular droughts made life almost untenable, the area now has irrigated crops, gardens, greened sporting facilities and village verges. Over 15,000 square kilometres (5,800 sq mi) are now used in rural pursuits, including more than 600 square kilometres (230 sq mi) in wheat, rice, vineyards, cotton, potatoes, vegetables and orchard trees. Most of the change was made possible by the widespread use of river and underground water.
|Selected historical census data for Carrathool Council local government area|
|Population||Estimated residents on census night||2,587||2,719|
|LGA rank in terms of size within New South Wales||126th||124th|
|% of New South Wales population||0.04||0.04|
|% of Australian population||0.01||0.01|
|Cultural and language diversity|
(other than English)
|Presbyterian and Reformed||5.4%||N/A|
|Median weekly incomes|
|Personal income||Median weekly personal income||A$527||A$681|
|% of Australian median income||91||103|
|Family income||Median weekly family income||A$1143||A$1538|
|% of Australian median income||77||89|
|Household income||Median weekly household income||A$942||A$1240|
|% of Australian median income||76||86|
Current composition and election method
Carrathool Shire Council is composed of ten councillors elected proportionally as two separate wards, each electing five councillors. All councillors are elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The mayor is elected by the councillors at the first meeting of the Council. The most recent election was held on 10 September 2016. However, in both wards there was an equal number of candidates, being those below, that nominated for election. There being no additional candidates, the election for both wards was uncontested. The makeup of the Council is as follows:
|Independents and Unaligned||10|
The current Council, elected in 2016, in order of election by ward, is:
|A Ward||David Fensom||Independent|
|Darryl Jardine||Independent||Deputy Mayor|
|B Ward||Mick Armstrong||Unaligned|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Carrathool (A)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 27 March 2019. Estimated resident population (ERP) at 30 June 2018.
- "Carrathool Regional Profile". Riverina Regional Development Board. Archived from the original on 20 July 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- "Carrathool Shire Council". New South Wales Division of Local Government. Archived from the original on 29 July 2008. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- "Profile of the electoral division of Farrer (NSW)". Australian Electoral Commission. 25 February 2016. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Carrathool (A)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "Carrathool Shire Council - A Ward". Local Government Elections 2016. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 14 September 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- "Carrathool Shire Council - B Ward". Local Government Elections 2016. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 14 September 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2016.