Willison railway station is located on the Alamein line in Victoria, Australia, serving the eastern Melbourne suburb of Camberwell. The station opened as Golf Links on 8 June 1908, being renamed Willison on 23 July 1936.
Willison was not part of the original Outer Circle line. It was built soon afterwards and was served by the so-called Deepdene Dasher, which ran a shuttle on the remnant of the Outer Circle between Ashburton and Deepdene.
The station was provided for the convenience of members of the Riversdale Golf Club, which was originally adjacent to the site. It has been said that influential club members did not appreciate having to walk to either Riversdale or Hartwell stations, and pressed for a closer alternative. That almost certainly explains why Willison was built so close to Riversdale station, being only 400 metres away. The club moved from the site in 1927, and on 23 July 1936, the station was renamed Willison. By that time, the Deepdene Dasher had ceased operation, and Willison was served by Ashburton line trains. Twelve years later, the line was extended to Alamein, the service which still exists today.
In 2013/14, Willison was the sixth-least-used station on Melbourne's metropolitan network, with 88,000 passenger movements.
Platforms & services
- Flinders Street; all stations services to Camberwell weekday all stations and limited stop services to
- Alamein all stations services to
- Willison Vicsig
- "Riversdale Station". City of Boroondara. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "News in brief". The Argus (Melbourne). Victoria, Australia. 22 July 1936. p. 18. Retrieved 11 September 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Train Station Patronage Sheet". Research and statistics. Public Transport Victoria. 1 July 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Alamein Line". Public Transport Victoria.