Town Category: Victoria
Sita Buslines, also known as Sita Group and including Sita Coaches, is a privately owned bus and coach operator in Melbourne, Australia. As a Melbourne bus company, it operates 18 bus routes under contract to the Government of Victoria. It is a subsidiary of Transit Systems.
In 1966 Frank Bono and George Sita purchased route 406 Footscray – East Keilor. In 1968 Sita sold his share to Bono. In January 1972 Sita purchased Graingers Bus Lines with route 472 Moonee Ponds Junction – Williamstown Beach. Subsequently purchased were Murrays Coaches in 1975, Nidis in 1979, West Newport Bus Service in November 1980, Sunshine Bus Lines in April 1982 and Starline Coaches in 1985.
Sita commenced coach operations in 1982 initially with second hand Denning vehicles, before building up a large Austral Tourmaster fleet from 1984. In 1995 Sita purchased the Coachtrans coach operation on the Gold Coast and commenced operations in Sydney. The latter operation has since ceased.
As of March 2019, the fleet consisted of 163 buses and coaches. Sita’s bus livery is white at the top and fawn at the bottom with an orange stripe. A special orange, white and black livery is seen on buses dedicated to the 401 shuttle from North Melbourne station to Melbourne University via the Royal Melbourne Hospital. Coaches were painted in a red, yellow and white livery, but are now painted white.
Public transport in Melbourne
- “Firefly” Fleetline November 1990 page 171
- Tilley, Bruce (1984). Melbourne Private Bus Fleets Vol 1. Berverley South Australia: Railmac Publications. p. 33. ISBN 0 949817 34 1.
- “Victorian Buses in the Eighties” Australian Bus Panorama issue 6/2 September 1990 page 13
- Melbourne Metropolitan Bus Operators and Fleet Listings. Melbourne: Bus & Coach Society of Victoria. 1991. p. 59.
- “Victorian Buses in the Eighties” Australian Bus Panorama issue 6/4 November 1990 page 5
- “Sita” Australian Bus Panorama issue 11/6 March 1996 page 39
- “Transit Systems Expands into Melbourne Bus Network”. Transit Systems. Archived from the original on 29 April 2019. Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- Sita Bus Lines Australian Bus Fleet Lists
Train Metro Trains Rolling stock Infrastructure Lists Bus Tram Yarra Trams Rolling stock Point-to-point Ticketing Government Places Australia Singapore United Kingdom Former
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.