Kananook railway station is located on the Frankston line, in Victoria, Australia. It serves the south-eastern Melbourne suburb of Seaford, and opened on 25 August 1975. It was named after nearby Kananook Creek.
To accommodate the station and allow construction, the Up and Down lines were slewed in March 1974. At the same time, the current Klauer Street overpass, located at the Up end of the station, was provided, replacing the Wells Road level crossing.
Parts of the station were upgraded in 1991, including the pedestrian overpass and car park. Further upgrades occurred in 2007, as part of the EastLink road project, linking Ringwood to Frankston. The station building was dismantled and replaced with a shelter, and a freeway noise protection wall was constructed.
The old station building was a semi large fibro building at the centre of the station, with two semi-enclosed waiting areas on the platforms, with a disused booking office near the entrance of the station.
To the east of the station is the access track for the Kananook Train Storage Facility, which is located north of the station.
Platforms & services
Ventura Bus Lines operates three routes via Kananook station:
- 778: to Carrum Downs
- 779: Frankston station – Seaford (Belvedere Primary School)
- 832: Frankston station – Carrum Downs
- Kananook Vicsig
- "Way & Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. May 1974. p. 115.
- "Way & Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. March 1975. p. 57.
- "General News". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. May 1991. p. 146.
- Funds boost for buses, stations The Age 14 October 2004
- "Frankston Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "901 Frankston - Melbourne Airport (SMARTBUS Service)". Public Transport Victoria.
- "778 Kananook - Carrum Downs via Lathams Rd". Public Transport Victoria.
- "779 Frankston - Belvedere via Kananook". Public Transport Victoria.
- "832 Frankston - Carrum Downs via Kananook & McCormicks Road". Public Transport Victoria.
- Melway map at street-directory.com.au