Rushworth was established during the Victorian gold rush in 1853. It was named by poet and later local Goldfields Commissioner Richard Henry Horne in 1854. Its post office opened on 16 September 1857.
The goldfields became no longer viable due to the underground water table and were closed during the gold rush.
Golfers play at the course of the Rushworth Golf Club on Tatura Road.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). “Rushworth (State Suburb)”. 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- Post Office List, Premier Postal History, retrieved 2008-04-11
- Full Points Footy, Rushworth, archived from the original on June 5, 2008, retrieved 2008-07-25
- Golf Select, Rushworth, retrieved 2009-05-11
- Town Accommodation: