The town began when a railway siding was opened in the area in 1912 which was initially called Mulikupp. The townsite was later renamed to Redmond. In 1913 blocks were subdivided and by 1916 a school had been built and the town was gazetted. It is thought that the town was named after the Irish Nationalist leader, John Edward Redmond.
A sawmill was established near the town along Albany Highway in 1997 by the Gatti brothers that specialised in local hardwoods such as jarrah, marri and wandoo to make floorboards, decking and structural timber. The mill was sold to C.J. Matters in 2015.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Redmond (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Main Roads WA - Distance from Perth". 2008. Archived from the original on 26 July 2008. Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – R". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "The History of Redmond". Redmond Sawmill. Retrieved 28 December 2017.