The establishment of a town arose after a local member petitioned the lands department for land to be made available for a townsite in 1951 after settlement in the area lead to a demand for land. Lots were surveyed soon afterward and the townsite was declared in 1954.
The name is Aboriginal in origin and the meaning is unknown. The name is taken from the nearby that was first surveyed in 1901 and spelt in a variety of ways.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – N". Retrieved 25 April 2011.