It was originally a station on the now abandoned Nyabing to Pingrup railway. Land was soon in demand in the area around the station, and blocks were surveyed and released in 1923. The townsite was gazetted as Chinokup later the same year; the spelling was changed to its present form in 1962.
A freak storm hit the area in January 1951, stripping leaves from trees and any hay left standing. Large hailstones caused some damage to properties and heavy rain filled dams and washed out fences. 250 points (2.5 inches, 64 mm[a]) of rain were recorded in a few hours in some areas.
- 1 point is 1/100th of an inch
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – C". Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- "Observation of rainfall". Bureau of Meteorology. 17 August 2007. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "FARMS HIT BY FREAK STORM". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 3 January 1951. p. 11. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "RAILWAY TRANSPORT". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 11 January 1929. p. 18. Retrieved 24 April 2011.