Town Category: New South Wales
Kendall, New South WalesTown in New South Wales, Australia
Kendall was originally named Camden Heads, as it is located on the Camden Haven River. It was renamed Kendall, in 1891, after the Australian poet Henry Kendall, and not, as some tourists suspect, after the similarly-spelled ancient town of Kendal in the County of Cumbria in England. Henry Kendall lived in the area from 1875 to 1881 when he was the first Forest Inspector for New South Wales.
The original residents of the Kendall area were the Birpai people.
Kendall is located 3 kilometres from Kew and 36 kilometres southwest of Port Macquarie via the Pacific Highway. It is one of the seven villages that make up the Camden Haven region of the Port Macquarie/Hastings Local Government Area. At the 2016 census, it had a population of 1,141 people.
- Middle Brother State Forest, located on the slopes of Middle Brother Mountain which was named by Captain James Cook
- Poet's Walk
Kendall has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
In the 2016 Census, there were 1,141 people in Kendall. 84.0% of people were born in Australia and 89.3% of people spoke only English at home. The most common responses for religion were No Religion 29.9%, Anglican 27.0% and Catholic 16.9%.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Kendall". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 29 January 2019.
- "Kendall". smh.com.au. 8 February 2004. Retrieved 2 October 2009.
- "Kendall School of Arts". New South Wales State Heritage Register. Office of Environment and Heritage. H00479. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- Kendall Village Community Home Page Accessed: 2007-09-12
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.