Kelso was the original European settlement in the area. In 1816, the initial settlement of Bathurst was established on the eastern banks of the Macquarie River, in current-day Kelso. The first ten farmers in Kelso were each given 50 acres (20 ha); five were newborn colonials and five were immigrants.
Kelso has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
Holy Trinity Church was the first inland church in Australia. It was built in 1835 to serve the Anglican parish of Kelso. It was the first Australian church consecrated by a bishop. The church has a close association with early settlement west of the Great Dividing Range. The church is surrounded by an historical cemetery, which contains many of the Kelso/Bathurst district's pioneers.
Kelso previously had a railway station on the Main Western line. It opened on 4 February 1875 and was closed on 6 April 1975. It is now served by coach services.
|Preceding station||Former Services||Following station|
|Main Western Line||Raglan|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Kelso (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "New South Wales GenWeb Project". Archived from the original on 27 June 2010. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- "Holy Trinity Anglican Church Group". New South Wales State Heritage Register. Office of Environment and Heritage. H01852. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Holy Trinity Church and Cemetery". Heritage Branch. 20 December 2005. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
Suburbs and towns in the Bathurst Regional Council local government area
|Suburbs of Bathurst|
|Other towns and villages|
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.