Yatina is a town and locality in the Australian state of South Australia located on the RM Williams Way about 222 kilometres (138 mi) north of the state capital of Adelaide and about 31 kilometres (19 mi) and 21 kilometres (13 mi) respectively from the municipal seats of Jamestown and Orroroo.
Yatina was proclaimed as a town in July 1874 and the first town lots were sold in September that year. The Yatina Hotel was also built that same year. Early hopes for the new town were disappointed in 1877 when a promised railway extension bypassed the town. In 1886, Yatina's population was 80, with an estimate of 100 residents the next year. Boundaries for the locality were created on 16 December 1999 which includes the site of the Government Town of Yatina. The portion within the Northern Areas Council, being the southern side of locality, was added on 12 April 2001. Part of Yatina on its western side was 'excluded' and added to the adjoining locality of Tarcowie on 2 August 2012 following a request from residents. The name derives from the Aboriginal name of a nearby black rock.
Land use within the locality is ’primary production’ and is concerned with “agricultural production and the grazing of stock on relatively large holdings.”
Yatina is located within the federal division of Grey, the state electoral district of Stuart, and the local government areas of the District Council of Orroroo Carrieton and the Northern Areas Council.
- "Search results for "Yatina, LOCB" with the following datasets selected - 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Counties', 'Government Towns', 'Local Government Areas', 'SA Government Regions' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Yatina (state suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- Musgrave, A (16 July 1874). "Untitled proclamation re the Township of Yatina" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia. p. 1329. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- Kentish, P.M. (16 December 1999). "GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES ACT 1991 Notice to Assign Names and Boundaries to Places (in the District Council of Orroroo/Carrieton)" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia. p. 3429. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- "Postcode for Yatina, South Australia". Postcodes Australia. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- "Electoral district of Stuart". Electoral Commission SA. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- "Federal electoral division of Grey" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics YONGALA (nearest weather station)". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- "Yatina". South Australian History. Flinders Ranges Research. Retrieved 10 November 2010.
- "Yatina". Place Names of South Australia. State Library of South Australia. Retrieved 10 November 2010.
- "Development Plan - Orroroo Carrieton Council, Consolidated – 22 November 2012" (PDF). Government of South Australia. pp. 105 and 127. Retrieved 11 December 2018.