Tarcowie (postcode 5431) is a town in South Australia. Tarcowie is an aboriginal word meaning "torrential waters". It was named by Governor Musgrave on 20 May 1875. At the 2011 census, Tarcowie had a population of 205, 10 fewer than the 2006 census. The dominant industry in Tarcowie is sheep farming, however in recent times[when?] wind farming may be taking over as the main industry for the town. The Tarcowie Landcare Group, an environmental organisation, is based in this town.
The Tarcowie township and southern half of the locality is in the Northern Areas Council. The northern part of the locality is in the District Council of Orroroo Carrieton. The historic former , located on the Tarcowie to Appila Road, is listed on the South Australian Heritage Register.
Notes and references
- "2011 Census QuickStats: Mannanarie". quickstats.censusdata.abs.gov.au. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- "Tarcowie Landcare Group". Archived from the original on 22 December 2015.
- "Stagg Farm Complex (including substantial ruins of farmhouse, water closet, hay shed, implement shed, former pigsty, dam and old fencing)". South Australian Heritage Register. Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 17 February 2016.