Westlake is a western suburb of the City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Westlake adjoins the suburbs of Jindalee, Middle Park and Mount Ommaney, and is a 20-minute drive from the Brisbane central business district.
The western part of the original land holdings that became the Centenary Suburbs were part of the Wolston Estate, consisting of 54 farms on an area of 3000 acres, offered for auction at Centennial Hall, Brisbane, on 16 October 1901. Wolston Estate is the property of M. B. Goggs, whose father obtained the land forty years previously in the 1860s and after whom Goggs Road is named. Only three of the farms sold at the original auction.
In 1879, the local government area of Yeerongpilly Division was created. In 1891, parts of Yeerongpilly Division were excised to create Sherwood Division becoming a Shire in 1903 which contained the ares of Wolston Estate. In 1925, the Shire of Sherwood was amalgamated into the City of Brisbane.
Westlake has much riverside properties and in the early 1990s expanded to include the development Westlake Waters with the 'natural lakes'.
As residential expansion occurred, the 1990s also saw the rise of community efforts to preserve riverfront bushland and encourage environmental protection of remnant natural areas. Groups which formed to forge this greater interest in environmental protection include Save Our Riverfront Bushland (1991), Westlake-Riverhills Bushcare Group (1993) and Centenary & District Environment Action Inc (1996).
In the 2011 census, the population of Westlake was 4,380, 49.6% female and 50.4% male.
The median age of the Westlake population was 41 years, 4 years above the Australian median.
62.8% of people living in Westlake were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 69.8%; the next most common countries of birth were England 5.6%, New Zealand 3.5%, South Africa 2.8%, Vietnam 2.4%, Sri Lanka 1.6%.
75.4% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 3.9% Vietnamese, 3.3% Cantonese, 2.6% Mandarin, 1.8% Tamil, 1.2% Hindi.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Westlake (Brisbane City) (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 28 February 2008.
- “Town To Be Built”, The Sydney Morning Herald, 11 November 1961. Retrieved 25 November 2017.
- "Plan of the Wolston Estate". 1901. hdl:10462/deriv/252490. Cite journal requires
- "SALE OF WOLSTON ESTATE". The Brisbane Courier. LVIII (13, 651). Queensland, Australia. 12 October 1901. p. 4. Retrieved 21 May 2019 – via National Library of Australia.
- "LATEST NEWS IN BRIEF". The Queenslander. LXI (1353). Queensland, Australia. 26 October 1901. p. 780. Retrieved 21 May 2019 – via National Library of Australia.
- Fones, Ralph (1 January 1993). "Suburban conservatism in the Sherwood Shire 1891-1920". UQ eSpace. Retrieved 2 March 2020.