Suburbs and localities (Australia)
Suburbs and localities are the names of geographic subdivisions in Australia, used mainly for address purposes. The term locality is used in rural areas, while the term suburb is used in urban areas. Australian postcodes closely align with the boundaries of localities and suburbs.
This Australian usage of the term "suburb" differs from common American and British usage, where it typically means a smaller, frequently separate residential community outside, but close to, a larger city. The Australian usage is closer to the American or British use of "district" or "neighborhood", and can be used to refer to any portion of a city.
Localities existed in the past as informal units, but in 1996 the Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping and the Committee for Geographical Names in Australasia (CGNA) decided to name and establish official boundaries for all localities and suburbs. There has subsequently been a process to formally define their boundaries and to gazette them, which is almost complete. In March 2006, only South Australia and the Northern Territory had not completed this process.
The CGNA's Gazetteer of Australia recognises two types of locality: bounded and unbounded. Bounded localities include towns, villages, populated places, local government towns and unpopulated town sites, while unbounded localities include place names, road corners and bends, corners, meteorological stations, ocean place names and surfing spots.
Sometimes, both localities and suburbs are referred to collectively as "address localities".
In the first instance, decisions about the names and boundaries of suburbs and localities are made by the local council[according to whom?] in which they are located based on criteria such as community recognition. Local council decisions are, however, subject to approval by the state's geographical names board. The boundaries of some suburbs and localities overlap two or more local government areas. In unincorporated areas, localities are declared by the relevant state authority.
- "Glossary of designation values in the Geographical Names Register" (PDF). Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. 15 July 2015. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- "Postcode boundaries". psma.com.au. Archived from the original on 18 February 2008.
- "Place names—localities and suburbs" (PDF). Department of Environment and Resource Management. December 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- "Naming of Northern Territory Suburbs and Localities". nt.gov.au. Archived from the original on 11 March 2008.
- "Feature Codes used by the Gazetteer of Australia". Geoscience Australia. Archived from the original on 28 February 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2007.
- "Determining suburbs and localities in NSW" (PDF). Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. August 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 July 2009. Retrieved 12 September 2012.