Town Category: Queensland
Stones Corner, QueenslandSuburb of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
The area was originally known as Burnett’s swamp, being low-lying land around the flood-prone Norman Creek. The triangle of land (the “corner”) at the south-east of the junction of Logan Road and Old Cleveland Road was purchased by James Stone in 1875. He tried to get a licence to operate a hotel at the location but was unsuccessful so he brewed and sold ginger beer instead. The area took the name Stone’s Corner as a result and later became a suburb with that name.
The Australian Institute of Applied Sciences has its Brisbane campus at 28 Old Cleveland Road.
- “Stones Corner – suburb in City of Brisbane (entry 50122)”. Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 24 December 2017.
- “Queensland Globe”. State of Queensland. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- “Local History – Stones Corner”. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 6 May 2009. Archived from the original on 9 January 2015. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- Pixley, Norman S. (Norman Stewart), d. 1988; Gill, J. C. H. (James Connal Howard); Isbel, C. E; Luttrell, G; Stephens, S. D (1972-01-01), Memory’s door is opened : night of reminiscence, Royal Historical Society of Queensland, retrieved 15 August 2018CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- “Stones Corner Hotel”. Stones Corner Hotel. Archived from the original on 15 December 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- “Stones Corner”. State Library of Queensland. 6 May 2009. Archived from the original on 15 December 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- “Stones Corner community wins battle to return as a suburb”. South-East Advertiser. 31 October 2017. Retrieved 24 December 2017.
- “Library opening hours and locations”. Brisbane City Council. 3 January 2018. Archived from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- “Public Libraries Statistical Bulletin 2016-17” (PDF). Public Libraries Connect. State Library of Queensland. November 2017. p. 11. Archived (PDF) from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- “Brisbane Campus – Studying at AIAS – Australian Institute of Applied Sciences”. Australian Institute of Applied Sciences. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- “Stones Corner Air Raid Shelter (entry 602485)”. Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- “Stones Corner”. Queensland Places. Centre for the Government of Queensland, University of Queensland.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.