Slacks Creek, Queensland
Slacks Creek is a suburb of Logan City, Queensland, Australia. Much of the suburbs eastern edge is aligned with the Pacific Motorway. At the 2016 Australian Census the suburb recorded a population of 10,432.
The creek that gave its name to the district is part of the Logan River catchment and was named after the Slack family who had a cattle run there before the days of closer settlement. The Aboriginal name for it was Mungaree, place of fishes, which is the name they gave to their property. In September 2006 Queensland's only IKEA store moved from its original home in the nearby suburb Rochedale South to its new location in Slacks Creek. IKEA Logan is now the largest IKEA store in the southern hemisphere and the third largest in the world.
In the 2011 census, Slacks Creek recorded a population of 10,435 people, 50.7% female and 49.3% male. The median age of the Slacks Creek population was 32 years, 5 years below the national median of 37. 62.9% of people living in Slacks Creek were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were New Zealand 9.9%, England 3.3%, Samoa 1.5%, Philippines 0.9%, Fiji 0.8%. 75.9% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 3% Samoan, 1% Hindi, 0.6% Khmer, 0.6% Arabic, 0.6% Romanian.
- Singer and songwriter Darren Hayes who rose to fame in the late 90s as the lead vocalist for Savage Garden.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Slacks Creek (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- IKEA Logan moves to Slacks Creek. IKEA moves to Slacks Creek.
- Mary Howells. "Mount Cotton - a brief history" (PDF). Redland City Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 March 2011. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Slacks Creek, Queensland (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Opening and closing dates of Queensland Schools". Queensland Government. Retrieved 18 April 2019.