Queensland Housing Commission
The Queensland Housing Commission was a Queensland Government agency which was established in 1945 under the State Housing Act 1945. The agency aimed to improve the lives of individuals and families by providing access to secure, affordable and appropriate housing.
One of the earliest and biggest projects undertaken by the Commission was a detached housing estate in Inala. In the Brisbane suburb of Stafford a significant number of post-war Queensland Housing Commission homes were built on quarter-acre blocks in the 1940s and 1950s.
After the Second World War, the Imported Homes Scheme was initiated and funded by the Federal government. Together with French contractors 886 prefabricated homes were built in the Brisbane suburb of Zillmere.
In 1981, the first residence to cater for the needs of people with a disability was adapted.
In 2004 the Commission was abolished, with the Department of Housing taking over its role under the Housing Act 2003.
- “Department of Housing: Our History – Foreword”. The State of Queensland (Department of Housing). Retrieved 16 August 2008.
- “Local History – Zillmere”. ABC Brisbane. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 7 May 2009. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- “Our history: Housing and Homelessness Services”. Department of Communities. 4 April 2011. Archived from the original on 3 April 2012. Retrieved 16 February 2012.