Heathwood is 19 kilometres (12 mi) southwest of the Brisbane central business district. It is relatively small in area but marked by brand new big houses.
The western boundary of Heathwood is marked by Oxley Creek, Pallara, the suburb of acreages, borders Heathwood in North East, Forest Lake in the West, Doolandella in the North, Greenbank in the South and Forestdale in the South East.
All the streets in Heathwood are named after native Australian flora/plants & trees.
The suburb was declared a suburb in 1970 when it was separated from Acacia Ridge. Heathwood was named after an early settler in the district.
Heathwood offers modern facilities and recreational options to its residents with all major shopping centers within 10-15 km range. Forest Lake Shopping Centre is less than 2 km away. The newly-built Pallara state school is the catchment primary school for Heathwood.
In the 2011 census, Heathwood recorded a population of 1,820 people, 50.3% female and 49.7% male.
The median age of the Heathwood population was 32 years of age, 5 years below the Australian median.
54.2% of people living in Heathwood were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 69.8%; the next most common countries of birth were New Zealand 7.6%, Vietnam 5.5%, England 4.7%, India 3.2%, South Africa 2.5%.
63.3% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 9.1% Vietnamese, 3.6% Hindi, 2.5% Mandarin, 1.1% Sinhalese, 1.1% Samoan.
Brisbane Transport operates two routes that serve stops in Heathwood:
- 118: to Brisbane City via Forest Lake and Logan Motorway[note 1]
- 460: to Brisbane City via Forest Lake Shops, Richlands Station and Indooroopilly
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Heathwood (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Calamvale Ward". Brisbane City Council. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 4 February 2017. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Heathwood - suburb (entry 49682)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "Route 118 timetable". TransLink.
- "Route 460 timetable". TransLink.
- Operates on weekday peak only in direction of peak.