Fairfield is a suburb of Brisbane, Australia located 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) south of the Brisbane CBD on the Brisbane River. The suburb is mainly residential with house and unit accommodation.
Fairfield is bounded to the north by the South Brisbane Cemetery, to the east by the Beenleigh railway line, to the south by Venner Road and to the west by the Brisbane River.
The Fairfield Library opened in 1988 with a major refurbishment in 2011.
Fairfield along with much of Brisbane was hit by floods in January 2011. And it also flooded in the 1974 floods.
There is a Fairfield train station on the line to Beenleigh. The main bus service is the 196, which runs every 15 minutes during the day and commences at Fairfield Gardens.
During the morning peak the 107 and 108 bus services are also available.
There is also a Taxi rank.
Fairfield has a Skate Park that caters for young people in the suburb.
Fairfield has its own shopping centre, Fairfield Gardens, at 180 Fairfield Road. The main shop in the centre is a Coles supermarket. It also has a Terry White Chemist, Australia Post, BWS, Dollars and Cents, and a Doctors surgery. The Brisbane City Council operates a public library at Fairfield Gardens.
The suburb borders the Brisbane River and has many parks.
In the 2011 census, Fairfield recorded a population of 2,554 people, 50.2% female and 49.8% male.
The median age of the Fairfield population was 31 years of age, 6 years below the Australian median.
69.2% of people living in Fairfield were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 69.8%; the next most common countries of birth were England 3.2%, New Zealand 3.1%, Malaysia 1.5%, China 1.2%, Vietnam 1.2%.
77.3% of people spoke only English at home; the next most popular languages were 2.4% Mandarin, 2% Greek, 1.7% Vietnamese, 1.7% Spanish, 0.9% German.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). “Fairfield (Qld) (State Suburb)”. 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- “Tennyson Ward”. Brisbane City Council. Brisbane City Council. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- “Public Libraries Statistical Bulletin 2016-17” (PDF). Public Libraries Connect. State Library of Queensland. November 2017. p. 11. Archived (PDF) from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- “Library opening hours and locations”. Brisbane City Council. 3 January 2018. Archived from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- Ourbrisbane.com: Fairfield
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Fairfield
- Boggo Road Gaol Historical Society
- Friends of South Brisbane Cemetery