City of Mount Isa
The City of Mount Isa is a local government area in north west Queensland. The City covers the urban locality of Mount Isa, the administrative centre, and surrounding area, sharing a boundary with the Northern Territory to the west.
Mount Isa is a reasonably affluent district. The largest industry in the City is the Mount Isa Mines, a source of lead, copper, silver and zinc. Cattle grazing and tourism are other industries of note.
On 10 February 1914, the Shire of Barclay Tableland, based in Camooweal, was incorporated on an area previously managed by the shires of Burke and Cloncurry. On 14 August 1919 the spelling was changed and it became known as Shire of Barkly Tableland. As a consequence of the growth of Mount Isa as a mining and population centre within the shire, an Order in Council dated 15 December 1962 renamed the shire to Shire of Mount Isa, effective 1 July 1963, and its administration centre relocated to Mount Isa. At the same time it gained part of the Shire of Cloncurry. On 30 May 1968, the shire was proclaimed as a City due to the area reaching a population of 18,000.
Towns and localities
The City of Mount Isa includes the following settlements:
Suburbs of the town of Mount Isa
Mineside Mount Isa:
Townside Mount Isa:
Rural areas outside the town
Chairmen and mayors
- 1927: John Thomson Campbell
- 2008 – 2012: John Molony
- 2012 – 2016 :Tony McGrady
- 2016 – : Joyce McCulloch
Sister cities of Mount Isa include:
- Bankstown, Sydney, New South Wales
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Mount Isa (C)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Mount Isa City Library". Public Libraries Connect. State Library of Queensland. 14 May 2014. Archived from the original on 6 February 2018. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- Pugh, Theophilus Parsons (1927). Pugh's Almanac for 1927. Archived from the original on 4 March 2014. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "2008 Mount Isa City – Mayoral Election – Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Archived from the original on 19 March 2018. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "2012 Mount Isa City – Mayoral Election – Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Archived from the original on 8 May 2016. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "2016 Mount Isa City Council – Mayoral Election – Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Archived from the original on 14 September 2017. Retrieved 4 December 2017.