Carindale is a suburb of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It is located 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) east of the CBD, and borders Belmont, Carina, Carina Heights, Mackenzie, Mansfield, Mount Gravatt East, and Tingalpa.
Notable features of the suburb include a large shopping centre - Westfield Carindale, the Pacific Golf Club, Belmont State School, Belmont Bushland Reserve, Belmont Private Hospital (psychiatric only) and Bulimba Creek. The Gateway Motorway borders the suburb. In addition to Indooroopilly in the west; Chermside on the north-side; and Upper Mount Gravatt on the south side, the suburb has been described as a mini-CBD. Public transport runs frequently to and from Carindale and the City via Old Cleveland Road and Creek Road, leading to the South East Busway.
Carindale was the name of a housing estate constructed in the area in 1976, and was taken as the official name of the suburb when it separated from Belmont in 1980. The name itself is a combination of "Carin" from the nearby suburb of Carina, and "dale" meaning valley.
In 1973 Carindale Nursing Home was opened in Foxglove St, Mt Gravatt East and in 1978 permission was granted to the developers to use Carindale as the name of the new shopping centre. In 1980 the suburb of Carindale was created.
The Carindale Library opened in 1999 with a major refurbishment in 2012.
In the 2016 census, Carindale recorded a population of 15,740 people, 51.4% female and 48.6% male.
The median age of the Carindale population was 42 years of age, 4 years above the Australian median.
65.3% of people living in Carindale were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 66.7%; the next most common countries of birth were New Zealand 3.5%, England 3.2%, China 2.8%, South Africa 2.4%, India 1.7%.
71.5% of people spoke only English at home; the next most popular languages were Mandarin 4.2%, Greek 3.6%, Cantonese 3.3%, Italian 1.7%, 1.1% Afrikaans.
- Department stores: Myer, David Jones, Target and Big W
- Supermarkets: Coles, Woolworths and Aldi
- Cinemas: Event
- Carindale public library operated by Brisbane City Council
- "Carindale (entry 46110)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Carindale, Qld (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Carindale, QLD 4152". LJ Hooker. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Find a postcode". Australia Post. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Centre for the Government of Queensland. "Carindale". Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Chandler Ward". Brisbane City Council. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "CARINDALE SHOPPING CENTRE". State Library of Queensland. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Carindale Lodge".
- "Westfield Carindale".
- "Public Libraries Statistical Bulletin 2016-17" (PDF). Public Libraries Connect. State Library of Queensland. November 2017. Archived (PDF) from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "2016Census_G_QLD_SSC - Census DataPacks - General Community Profile". Australian Bureau of Statistics – Census 2016. Retrieved 18 July 2017.
- "Stores at Westfield Carindale". Westfield Australia. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Library opening hours and locations". Brisbane City Council. 3 January 2018. Archived from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
Media related to Carindale, Queensland at Wikimedia Commons