Aboriginal Shire of Doomadgee
The Aboriginal Shire of Doomadgee is a special local government area in North West Queensland, Queensland, Australia. It is managed under a Deed of Grant in Trust under the Local Government (Community Government Areas) Act 2004.
The shire is located within the Gulf Country to the south of the Gulf of Carpentaria. It consists of two disconnected areas of land: the locality of Doomadgee which is inland and the locality of Gangalidda on the coast of the gulf. The shire was excised from the Shire of Burke and is surrounded by the Shire of Burke.
The area originally was set up as a Mission in 1931 by the Christian Brethren to house primarily Gangalidda Aboriginal people who had ended up living on the fringes of the Burketown township. Originally on the coast, a cyclone in 1936 destroyed the settlement, and the decision was made to move the settlement to Nicholson River.
In 1987, under the Community Services (Aborigines) Act 1984, a Deed of Grant in Trust was given to the Doomadgee community over both the former and current mission. Like other DOGIT communities of the time, Doomadgee had a Community Council elected by Aboriginal people living in the community.
In 2010 the Doomadgee Aboriginal Shire Council was established under the Local Government Act 2009.
The majority of residents are Gangalidda or Waanyi people, but smaller populations of Gadawa, Lardil, Mingginda and Garawa are also resident within Doomadgee.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2018), 2017 to 2018". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2018.
- "Queensland Globe". State of Queensland. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "2008 Doomadgee Aboriginal Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Archived from the original on 27 April 2018. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "2012 Doomadgee Aboriginal Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Archived from the original on 1 April 2018. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "2016 Doomadgee Aboriginal Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Archived from the original on 27 March 2018. Retrieved 4 December 2017.