Town Category: New South Wales
Hazelbrook, New South WalesTown in New South Wales, Australia
Hazelbrook is a town in New South Wales, Australia (Elevation: 675 metres) It is located 93 kilometres west of Sydney and approximately 20 kilometres east of Katoomba in the Blue Mountains on the Great Western Highway.
History and description
The town was named after Hazelbrook House, built in the 1870s by Svonte Noles. The name Hazelbrook was adopted in 1894 when the Hazelbrook railway station was opened opposite the home. Hazelbrook House no longer exists but Selwood House is a heritage-listed building in the nearby vicinity and now houses a veterinary practice. Other attractions in the area include Terrace Falls, Victor Falls and Bedford Pool on the south side of the village, plus Lyre Bird Glen, Oaklands Falls, Horseshoe Falls and Burgess Falls on the north side.
The village is serviced by a number of schools; Hazelbrook Public School (kindergarten to Year 6), the humanist Korowal School (Kindergarten to HSC), Blue Mountains Steiner (Pre-School to Year 6) and two child care centres.
There is a shopping centre that includes a supermarket and several shops, restaurants and cafes.
Hazelbrook volunteer Rural Fire brigade established in 1959 by the local community
Australian author James Roy lives in Hazelbrook.
According to the 2016 census of Population, there were 4,974 people in Hazelbrook.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people made up 3.9% of the population.
- 81.2% of people were born in Australia. The next most common country of birth was England at 5.5%.
- 90.9% of people spoke only English at home.
- The most common responses for religion were No Religion 38.3%, Catholic 19.2% and Anglican 14.9%.
- Blue Mountains (Australia)
- Blue Mountains National Park
- Woodford, New South Wales
- Lawson, New South Wales
- Hazelbrook railway station
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Hazelbrook (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 16 July 2017. Material was copied from this source, which is available under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Blue Mountains Community Profile – Hazelbrook
- "Origin of Blue Mountains Town Names", Blue Mountains City Council
- Sydney and Blue Mountains Bushwalks, Neil Paton (Kangaroo Press) 2004, pp.186–196
- "Hazelbrook Public School | Home". www.hazelbrook-p.schools.nsw.edu.au. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "Korowal School Blue Mountains Australia - Independent, Co-educational, Kindergarten to HSC". www.korowal.nsw.edu.au. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "Blue Mountains Steiner School - Inspiring a Love for Learning". Blue Mountains Steiner School. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "Hazelbrook Hawks FC". Hazelbrook Hawks FC. 2 February 2017.
Media related to Hazelbrook, New South Wales at Wikimedia Commons
- Hartley Vale
- Kings Tableland
- Little Hartley
- Medlow Bath
- Mount Irvine
- Mount Riverview
- Mount Tomah
- Mount Victoria
- Mount Wilson
- North Katoomba
- Sun Valley
- Valley Heights
- Wentworth Falls
- Yellow Rock
Mountain peaks Tourist attractions Valleys Waterfalls History National parks Rivers Miscellaneous Disasters
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.