The railway line opened in 1893 and a station was established in the late 1890s. A townsite to support local settlers was gazetted in 1912 but little development occurred as the town is situated so close to Waroona and Wagerup. The name of the town comes from a nearby brook of the same name, first recorded by a surveyor in 1889. The name of Yorlup appears in earlier maps and was recorded as early as 1833.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – Y". Retrieved 12 April 2013.