The area was opened for selection in the early 1900s and in 1904 the lands guide in the area asked the Lands Department to put space aside for a townsite at Scotts Brook. Land was set aside in 1905 even though the District Surveyor felt that there would insufficient demand. The area was initially known as Scott's Brook and also as Gnowergerup, the Aboriginal name of a nearby brook. Lots were surveyed in 1906 and the Upper Blackwood suggested the name of Mayanup. The town was gazetted in 1907.