It was gazetted a townsite in 1899, and was originally a siding on the Donnybrook to Bridgetown railway, opened in 1898. The town derives its name from the nearby Hester Brook, a name first recorded by surveyor John Forrest in 1866. Hester Brook is named after Edward Godfrey Hester, an early settler (late 1850s) of the Bridgetown district.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – H". Retrieved 8 June 2007.