Before European settlement, the region was inhabited by the Pindjarup people, in whose language "Benger" may have meant "swamp" according to some sources (the word Pijar was also used). The explorers Thomas Peel and Stephen Henty travelled through the district in 1835. The area was known as the "flats of Mornington", and some years later, Mornington Siding was established with a hall, school and shop/post office. Sandalwood from the area was used in the Swan River Colony. In 1887, John Partridge founded a dairy in the area, which is still open today as the White Rocks Museum and Dairy. The town was renamed from Mornington to Benger in 1902, although many geographic names in the area (including the creek near the school) bear the original name.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – B". Retrieved 25 May 2007.
- Shire of Harvey. "Local Towns - Benger". Archived from the original on 20 July 2011. Retrieved 1 October 2006.
- Harvey Tourism - Brunswick Junction. Accessed 2 October 2006 Archived 21 August 2006 at the Wayback Machine
- "Benger Swamp bushfire". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 21 January 2011. Retrieved 21 March 2013.