Town Category: South Australia
Hackham, South AustraliaSuburb of Adelaide, South Australia
The Coast to Vines rail trail passes through the suburb.
The post code within the Hackham suburb is "5163".
HistorySee also: History of AdelaideSee also: European settlement of South Australia
The township of Hackham was surveyed for Edward Castle on Section 25 Hundred of Noarlunga in 1856. Castle had arrived in South Australia in 1839 and it is thought named the new settlement after his former home in Gloucestershire. Another version of the naming of the place states that J.B. Hack, an early colonist, lent his name to it and yet another has it that James Kingdon, the first owner of the section prior to Castle, named it.
One contemporary account stated that town of Hackham was ‘peculiarly adapted for its purpose, being in the centre of a large agricultural district. The land is sloping and dry in winter’.
By 1866, Hackham was linked by a daily coach to Adelaide and it contained a post office, licensed school, and a hotel, the Golden Pheasant. The town did not flourish however and during the 1880s dwindled to virtually nothing more than gardens, farms and wattle plantations. One of those gardens, a plant nursery maintained by F.W. Hutchinson, became well known for its seed production.
The Craig, Collins, Hutchinson, Holly, Humphris, Forsyth and Sparrow families were just some of those that pioneered the place. It was predominately a farming region, specialising in cereal production until the 1960s and 1970s when the encroachment of suburban subdivisions changed land use.
Walking and cycling trails
- Huntfield Heights Primary School C.P.C - 7 Primary School
- Hackham West R-7 School
- Home Child Care, Family Day Care Provider, Alexander Street, Hackham
- Mick O'Shea Hotel
- Holly reserve
- Forsyth reserve
- Hackham East Jnr & Pmy School
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Hackham (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Southern Adelaide SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Search result for "County of Adelaide, CNTY" with the following data sets selected - "Counties" and "Local Government Areas"". Property Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.