Guildford, Western Australia
During Captain Stirling's exploration for a suitable site to establish a colony on the western side of the Australian continent in the late 1820s, the exploration party of boats found a fresh water stream across the river from the site of Guildford which they called .
Guildford was the home of Lew Whiteman and his family. The Whiteman family were responsible for the establishment of various industries. The Whiteman family established as a picnic area for their employees. This land and the purchase of surrounding land by the State Government in 1978 was used to create Whiteman Park. The original home of the Whiteman family are now Tea rooms; the house is one of the oldest standing homes in Western Australia.
Guildford was originally the political centre of what is now called the City of Swan. The original council chambers have been converted to a library. Alongside the library stands the Town Hall; behind this is the stables built for the councillors while attending meetings and as a depot for council equipment. These stables have been converted and are now the home of The Garrick Theatre which is the oldest operating theatre group in Western Australia. The original structure is still visible. Inside the roof has its original shingles still in place, though from the outside they have been covered by corrugated iron.
George Walter Harper (1880-1956) was an orchardist, the youngest of ten children born in Guildford.
- "2011 Census QuickStats: Guildford (WA)". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 28 March 2013. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Abdullah, Yasmin Jill (2007). "Abdullah, George Cyril (1919–1984)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. ADU. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- "Australian Dictionary of Biography".
- Smith, Kevin P. (1983). "Harper, Charles Walter (1880–1956)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. ANU. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- Medcalf, M (2005). "Wood, Malvina Evalyn (1893–1976)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. UDA. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- Bourke, M. J. (Michael Joseph), (1971) Old buildings at Guildford [microform] ( Microfilm copy of typescript ([240, 190] leaves) and illustrations prepared for University of Western Australia, Faculty of Architecture, 1971.)