Bange's Airfield, six kilometres west of Clifton, is a centre for ultralight aircraft, and home to the Lone Eagle Flying School and the Darling Downs Sport Aircraft Association Inc. Boab trees are an important cultural heritage feature, particularly alongside the main street.
Clifton Post Office opened on 20 April 1869 (it was known as King's Creek for a short period in 1869).
In 1877, 6,000 acres (2,400 ha) were resumed from the Clifton pastoral run and offered for selection on 17 April 1877.
The Clifton War Memorial is located on the corner of King and Edward Streets.
Clifton Colliery Provisional School opened on 11 December 1876. It became Clifton Colliery State School on 7 October 1878. It closed in 1936.
Clifton Homestead Area State School opened circa 1879 and closed circa 1918.
Clifton State School opened on 19 September 1892. On 28 January 1964 it opened a secondary department, an arrangement which continued until Clifton State High School opened on 24 January 1966.
An undated map shows allotments for sale in the township of King's Creek, situated on the Clifton Estate. The allotments were adjacent to the railway line, close to King's Creek railway station, and King's Creek. An article in the Darling Downs Gazette on 20 June 1885 notes the sale of allotments at the new township of King's Creek.
St Francis De Sales' School opened on 25 February 1917 with the arrival of four Sisters of the Good Samaritan. The original Clifton Catholic Church was moved to Tooth Street and was renovated to become the school. In 1979 the Sisters ceased to operate the school and it is now under lay leadership.
The Clifton Library opened in 2002.
Clifton State School is a government primary (Prep-6) school for boys and girls at Tooth Street ( In 2017, the school had an enrolment of 100 students with 10 teachers (8 full-time equivalent) and 10 non-teaching staff (5 full-time equivalent).).
Clifton State High School is a government secondary (7-12) school for boys and girls at 32 East Street ( In 2017, the school had an enrolment of 240 students with 30 teachers (27 full-time equivalent) and 17 non-teaching staff (13 full-time equivalent).).
Clifton Cluster Special Education Program is a primary and secondary (Prep-12) special education program at Clifton State High School at 32 East Street ().
St Francis De Sales School is a Catholic primary (Prep-6) school for boys and girls at 16 Meara Place ( In 2017, the school had an enrolment of 53 students with 7 teachers (5 full-time equivalent) and 4 non-teaching staff (3 full-time equivalent).).
The Clifton Library is operated by the Toowoomba Regional Council. The library is located on Meara Place and is open five days a week (Tuesday through Saturday).
Clifton Historical Museum is located in the old butter factory where there is a range of early agricultural tools and machinery on display. It is staffed by volunteers.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Clifton (SSC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- "Clifton - town in Toowoomba Region (entry 7437)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "Clifton - locality in Toowoomba Region (entry 47913)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Proclamations under the New Land Acts". The Brisbane Courier. Queensland, Australia. 2 March 1877. p. 3. Retrieved 19 February 2020 – via Trove.
- "Clifton War Memorial". Monument Australia. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- Queensland Family History Society (2010), Queensland schools past and present (Version 1.01 ed.), Queensland Family History Society, ISBN 978-1-921171-26-0
- "Township of King's Creek : situated on the Clifton Estate, Darling Downs". ca. 1880-1910. hdl:10462/deriv/483715. Cite journal requires
|journal=(help); Check date values in:
- "Clifton Estate Sale". Darling Downs Gazette. XXIV (5, 791). Queensland, Australia. 20 June 1885. p. 3. Retrieved 26 November 2019 – via National Library of Australia.
- "History". St. Francis de Sales Catholic School Clifton. Archived from the original on 14 November 2019. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Public Libraries Statistical Bulletin 2016-17" (PDF). Public Libraries Connect. State Library of Queensland. p. 16. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "State and non-state school details". Queensland Government. 9 July 2018. Archived from the original on 21 November 2018. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Clifton State School". Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "ACARA School Profile 2017". Archived from the original on 22 November 2018. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- "Clifton State High School". Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "St Francis De Sales School". Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Toowoomba Regional Council". Archived from the original on 24 October 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- "Clifton Historical Museum". Toowoomba Regional Council. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- "Branch Locations". Queensland Country Women's Association. Archived from the original on 26 December 2018. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Clifton
- "Parish map of Clifton and Tabletop". Queensland Government. 1978.
- Clifton State High School
- Video: Clifton - Why we like to live here A digital story created by Barbara Free about the area of Clifton, as part of the Queensland Stories Project, State Library of Queensland. (Windows Media player, RealPlayer)