The locality was named after a pastoral run held in the early 1850s by Thomas Collins, which in turn was believed to be named for the creek flowing through the run.
Brush Creek was opened for selection on 17 April 1877; 21 square miles (54 km2) were available.
The Brush Creek Provisional School open on 28 March 1927. In 1930 it became a part-time provision school along with Greenup Provisional School and Waroo Road Provisional School. Brush Creek school closed in 1932.
- "Brush Creek - locality in Goondiwindi Region (entry 47799)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Proclamations under the New Land Acts". The Brisbane Courier. Queensland, Australia. 2 March 1877. p. 3. Retrieved 19 February 2020 – via Trove.
- Queensland Family History Society (2010), Queensland schools past and present (Version 1.01 ed.), Queensland Family History Society, ISBN 978-1-921171-26-0